Home > Case Post Mortems > Upgrade to vCenter Server 5.5 failing due to service misconfiguration

Upgrade to vCenter Server 5.5 failing due to service misconfiguration

January 2nd, 2015 Leave a comment Go to comments

Today was a rather productive day in terms of resolved cases, it sure helps to be part of the frontline again during the times of low staffing though, finally some easy stuff to deal with again šŸ™‚

One of the more interesting issues was a failing updateĀ from vCenter Server 5.5 GA to 5.5 Update 2b. The update would fail with the following error message:

One or more vCenter ServerĀ components was not installed. The most common reasons for this are:

– The Windows Protected Storage Service is disabled. Go to Control Panel > Administrative Tools > Services and make sure that it is not disabled.

– The database log does not have enough space to continue the installation. See KB 2007864 for detailed instructions.

The service was indeed started and the database looked fine from what we could tell (650 MB data file with 460 MB log file, which is also the default). We did download SQL Management Studio nonetheless and tried to set the transaction log file to unlimited (or rather 2GB as it was a SQL Express instance in that case) just as suggested. We also double checked that theĀ recovery model was set to simple and performed a database backup.

Non of this helped though. As error messages can be misleading and this one only talks about the most common reasons we took a look at the vminst.log which was saved in the temp directory.

[vminst.log]

VMware VirtualCenter-build-1312298: 01/02/15 12:09:44 Getting Property COM.VMWARE.VIM.SPS = C:\Program Files\VMware\Infrastructure\VirtualCenter Server\extensions\com.vmware.vim.sps\
VMware VirtualCenter-build-1312298: 01/02/15 12:09:44 Getting Property VM_InstallSPS = C:\Program Files\Common Files\VMware\VMware vCenter Server – Java Components\
VMware VirtualCenter-build-1312298: 01/02/15 12:09:44 End Logging
VMware VirtualCenter-build-1312298: 01/02/15 12:09:44 Begin Logging
VMware VirtualCenter-build-1312298: 01/02/15 12:09:44 Getting Property SourceDir = C:\Users\Administrator\Desktop\
VMware VirtualCenter-build-1312298: 01/02/15 12:09:44 Getting Property TempFolder = C:\Users\ADMINI~1\AppData\Local\Temp\1\
VMware VirtualCenter-build-1312298: 01/02/15 12:09:44 Did not find file/directory: “C:\Users\Administrator\Desktop\Profile-Driven Storage\VMware vSphere Profile-Driven Storage.msi”
VMware VirtualCenter-build-1312298: 01/02/15 12:09:44 Installation package does not exist C:\Users\Administrator\Desktop\Profile-Driven Storage\VMware vSphere Profile-Driven Storage.msi.
VMware VirtualCenter-build-1312298: 01/02/15 12:09:44 Msi res: 1603

Interesting… It looks like the installer actually tries to install the Profile Driven Storage service even though it never said a word about this. On checking the services we noticed that this one actually was missing. We downloaded the 5.5 GA files and did a change install using the add/remove programs dialog in the control panel. This does install the Profile Driven Storage service without uninstalling vCenter first. The upgrade could be successfully done afterwards without any errors being shown.

Lesson learned: Never trust an error message that you did not write yourself …

Categories: Case Post Mortems Tags:
  1. Dustin
    January 12th, 2016 at 16:57 | #1

    I just ran into the same thing – and http://kb.vmware.com/kb/2007864 would not load… glad I didn’t waste any more time and found your post. Huge thanks!!!

  2. June
    February 21st, 2016 at 07:28 | #2

    Could you send me the link to download 5.5 GA as you mentioned below.
    Thanks!

  3. Josh
    June 22nd, 2016 at 12:10 | #3

    Awesome, thank you so much – I had the exact same error when upgrading from 5.5 Update 2b to 5.5 Update 3b and I followed this process using the Change install and the 5.5 Update 2b installation media. This installed the Profile Driven Storage service and resolved this error for me.

  4. Hussain
    December 8th, 2016 at 06:54 | #4

    Excellent post… I’m exited same as you today and faced couple of errors during the vCenter upgrade from u2 to u3… your trick to this error successfully installed the vSphere Profile Driven Storage Service… and the upgrade went through without any error..

    Another error related to the KDC services which is using port 88 and I’m using port 88 for the Web.ServicePorts.http in VMWare vSphere vCenter Client as i was IIS on the vCenter before I installed vCenter..

    in vSphere Client —> Administration –> Advanced Settings and change the Web.ServicePorts.http from 88 to port 80.. Restart the vCenter service and the SSO upgrade continued..

    • Frank
      December 8th, 2016 at 09:21 | #5

      Hi Hussain,
      Glad this was of help šŸ™‚

      Also just from experience with interop for other products in the VMware stack running on the default http and https port for vCenter Server is a really great idea to move forward to newer versions like 6.0 and 6.5 as it reduced the amount of possible issues you might run into down the line!

  1. January 4th, 2015 at 22:16 | #1